Friday, February 10, 2012

Road to the Oscars – Visual Effects Society Awards

EGAD!

Last week, during my summery of the Academy’s Best Visual Effect nominations, I mentioned that 7 out of the last 9 winners of the VES awards went on to win the Oscar.  So, it goes without saying that the winner of the VES has a definite advantage entering the Oscars.

That said, I picked ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2’ as the Oscar favorite, with ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ as a close second place.  Well… I’m definitely in the ball park.

Just a couple days ago the Visual Effect Society gave their annual honor to ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’!

To tell you the truth, I knew it would be close and I’m not surprises by the ‘Apes’ victory.  However… I wouldn’t be so quick to write off ‘Harry Potter’.   I originally picked ‘Harry Potter’ as the sentimental favorite.  They have been nominated a quite a few times and have yet to win… and now with the series having come to a close, this would be the time to honor their whole body of work.

That said… how sentimental does the ‘Visual Effect’s Branch get?  Who knows!  There is really no rhyme or reason.  On the years the VES and the Oscars didn’t sync the Oscars honored ‘Spiderman 2’ while the VES honored ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’, and then the Oscars honored ‘The Golden Compass’ while the VES honored ‘Transformers’.

Now, the one thing that I can point out is the fact that the VES has already honored a ‘Harry Potter’ film in the past, while the Academy has yet to award them the statuette.  As water thin as this analysis may sound… it’s enough to keep me on track and continue supporting ‘Potter’ for the win. 

A win for ‘Potter’ would give me 5 points in my Oscar Prediction Game.  And since I’ll still keep ‘Apes’ as my runner-up, worth 4 points if I’m wrong… it’s totally a one point gamble I’m willing to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment