Saturday, February 25, 2012

84th Academy Awards – ‘Best Picture’


Eligibility and Voting:
A Reminder List of all eligible motion pictures shall be sent with a nominations ballot to all active and life members of the Academy who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five pictures.

The pictures receiving the highest number of votes shall become the nominations for final voting for the Best Picture award.  There may not be more than ten nor fewer than five nominations; however, no picture shall be nominated that receives less than five percent of the total votes cast.

The individual(s) who shall be credited for Academy Award purposes must have screen credit of “producer” or “produced by.”  Persons with screen credits of executive producer, co-producer, associate producer, line producer, produced in association with or any other credit shall not receive nominations or Academy statuettes.  The nominees will be those three or fewer producers who have performed the major portion of the producing functions.  The Producers Branch Executive Committee will designate the qualifying producer nominees for each of the nominated pictures.  The committee has the right, in what it determines to be a rare and extraordinary circumstance, to name any additional qualified producer as a nominee.

Final voting for the Best Picture award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.

**********
Nominations:
The Artist – Thomas Langmann
  • 1st nomination for Thomas.
  • 10 total nominations for the film: Art Direction, Cinematography, Costume Design, Directing, Film Editing, Original Score, Leading Actor, Supporting Actress, and Screenplay.
  • Won 114 of 20 other major awards for Best Film, including the BAFTA and Golden Globe Comedy/Musical.
  • Recicient of a Special Award from the American Film Institute (AFI), who only inducts 10 AMERICAN films each year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #2

The Artist is going to win the Oscar for Best Picture.  There is simply nothing like it.  This is a perfectly crafted that proves you don’t need to hear the actors voice to have a compelling story or a strong performance.  This isn’t a film being honored just because it went against the grain, anyone can make a movie that goes against the normal… but is takes a masterful film to go against those normal, challenge its audience and succeed.

The Descendants – Jim Burke, Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne
  • 1st nomination both Jim’s and Alexander for Producing.  They previously produced Cedar Rapids and The Savages.
  • 5 total nominations for the film: Directing, Film Editing, Leading Actor, and Adapted Screenplay.
  • Won 6 of 19 other major award nominations for Best Film, including the Golden Globe for Drama.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #9

I liked this film a lot, however for being a Contemporary Dramatic-Comedy, which is my favorite genre, it ranked lower than three films of the same genre on my person list for the year: Win Win, Crazy Stupid Love, and 50/50.  Perhaps I’m being too hard on this film… you see, I adopt Alexander Payne and Sideways ranked in the #1 spot on my 2004 list… and I still think Sideways is the best film he’s ever made.  So I’m having a hard time accepting, what I would call, an “inferior” work of Payne’s might win Best Picture.  However, I’m making an unfair comparison.  I am comparing Payne to Payne an this specific film to the other nominees.  All that said, I do believe The Descendants will be the Runner-Up.

  • 5th Producing nomination for Scott.  He won for No Country for Old Men and was nominated for The Hours, The Social Network, and True Grit.
  • 2 total nominations for the film: Supporting Actor
  • Nominated for 2 other major awards for Best Picture.
  • EGOTing Rank: #8

I really like this film.  Perhaps it’s because I read the book first and unlike other critics, I liked how the sentimentality was used to drive the film.  When it comes to 9/11… I would much rather watch movies like Extremely Loud or Reign on Me, movies about the healing process, rather than movies like World Trade Center or United 93, movies about the tragedy itself.  I believe the latter movies will play better for audiences in the future who will need a better understanding of what happened… but for me… someone who lived through it in my own way… I want to see movies about healing.

The Help – Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan
  • 1st Producing nomination for Brunson, Chris, and Michael.  Michael has Produced three of the Harry Potter films, both Night at the Museum films, and the Percy Jackson series.  Chris directed The Goonies… what more is there in life?
  • 4 total nominations for the film: Leading Actress and two Supporting Actresses.
  • Won 1 of 4 other major award nominations for Best Picture.  However, the won 6 of 9 other major award nominations for Best Ensemble… which is this films bread and butter.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #6

What can I say?  This is a great film.  It won’t win… here and now… but in an alternate universe where The Artist was never made… The Help wins in a landslide.

Hugo – Graham King and Martin Scorsese
  • 3rd nomination for Graham who won for The Departed after being nominated for The Aviator.
  • 1st Producing nomination for Martin (Believe it or NOT!)
  • 11 total nominations for the film: Art Direction, Cinematography, Costume Design, Directing, Film Editing, Original Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, and Adapted Screenplay.
  • On 2 of 14 other major award nominations.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #12

Finally, a real family movie!  Martin made a complicated and nuanced live-action film that I enjoyed immensely that I could actually take my six year-old son to… who enjoyed the film just as much as I did!  Bravo!

Midnight in Paris – Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum
  • 1st nomination for both Letty and Stephen.  Letty has been producing all of Woody Allen’s films since Bullets over Broadway in 1994.  Stephen joined the team in 2001 with The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. 
  • 4 total nominations for the film: Art Direction, Directing, and Original Screenplay.
  • Nominated for 8 other major awards as Best Picture.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #11

I’m pretty sure I’ve been every Woody Allen film… except maybe one or two.  And I have to say… this is probably his finest work.  I thought it was great.  It’s certainly the best movie he’s made in the last 15 years.  Thanks Woody!

Moneyball – Michael De Luca, Rachel Horowitz, and Brad Pitt
  • 2nd nomination for Michael who was nominated last year for The Social Network.
  • 1st nomination for Rachel and Brad.  Rachel previously Produced About Schmidt and Next Stop Wonderland.  Brad, believe it or not, Produced Kick-Ass!
  • 6 total nomination for the film: Film Editing, Sound Mixing, Leading Actor, Supporting Actor, and Adapted Screenplay.
  • Nominated for 5 other major film awards as Best Picture.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #3

I gave this movie a #3 ranking for the year… I think that says it all.  I’m really bummed that it’s not getting more awards, but I’m not surprised.  It’s a solid film, but not won that is going to win big.  That said, I am surprised that it has lost its footing in the Adapted Screenplay category.  I was not expecting it to lose.  I hope it doesn’t… but I think it will. 

The Tree of Life – Dede Gardner, Sarah Green, Grant Hill and Bill Pohlad
  • 2nd nomination for Grant, who also Produced The Thin Red Line.
  • 1st nomination for Dede (A Mighty Heart), Sarah (Frida), and Bill (Into the Wild).
  • 3 total nominations for the film: Cinematography and Directing.
  • Won 5 of 15 other major award nominations for Best Picture.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: Film Not Yet Ranked

I’m ashamed.  I haven’t seen this film year.  I’m going to watch it as soon as I post this final post… I might amend later.

War Horse – Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy
  • 7th nomination for Steven, one win for Schindler’s List, also nominated for ET, The Color Purple, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, and Letter from Iwo Jima.
  • 7th nomination for Kathleen.  4th with Steven: ET, The Color Purple, Munich.  And nominated 3 other times for The Sixth Sense, Seabiscuit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,
  • 6 total nomination for the film: Art Direction, Cinematography, Original Score, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing.
  • Nominated for 2 other major film awards for Best Picture.
  • Named to the AFI’s list of Movies of the Year.
  • EGOTing Rank: #27

Listen… I don’t know what to say.  I don’t really understand why it’s up for Best Picture.  The only real compliment I can give it is that it’s better than Amistad and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls.  Which I guess, is kind of the opposite of a compliment.  I just don’t understand.  Going into the nominations I was really expecting to see The Adventures of Tintin thrown around more… so to see War Horse just doesn’t make sense to me.

**********
Snubs:
Listen, if you scroll back up and look at the EGOTing Rank for each nominated film, you’ll see that the Oscar Nominations are all over the map… if you have a similar taste to mine.  I won’t bore you too much… but here are the movies that made my top ten list, but didn’t get an Oscar nomination:

#1 – Win Win
#4 – Super 8
#5 – Crazy Stupid Love
#7 – 50/50
#10 – The Adventure of Tintin

For a complete ranked list of all the movies I saw in 2011, click here.

**********
Oscar Trends:
I’ve been babbling on for week… the winning film is pretty clear this year… so I’ll just shut up and finish it.

**********
Prediction
  • Winner:  The Artist – Thomas Langmann
    • Runner-Up:  The Descendants – Jim Burke, Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne
    • Wild Card: The Help – Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan
    • Unlikely:  The Tree of Life – Dede Gardner, Sarah Green,Grant Hill and Bill Pohlad
    • No Chance in Hell:
      • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close – Scott Rudin
      • Hugo – Graham King and Martin Scorsese
      • Midnight in Paris – Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum
      • Moneyball – Michael De Luca, Rachel Horowitz, and Brad Pitt
      • War Horse – Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy  

No comments:

Post a Comment