Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Road to the Oscars - Various Technical Guild Awards


The last few days have been very busy for various technical associations as the race to hand out their internal awards before the Oscars.  Here’s the run down on a few of them:

American Cinema Editors Awards (aka The Eddies)
This one actually surprised me a little.  As mentioned in my Film Editing prediction page, the winner of the American Cinema Editors Award has gone on to win the Oscar every year for the last 17 years.  However, the odds are even better than that.  In the 50 year history of the ACE Award… 37 of 50 winners have also won the Oscar.

However, things are still a bit complicated.  Up until 2000, the ACE only gave out one award for Best Editing in a Feature.  However, for the last eleven years they’ve been giving out two: Drama and Comedy/Musical.

Drama: This year’s dramatic ACE award went to The Descendants which totally surprised me.  I love Kevin Trent’s style; however I really thought his lighter, more subtle touch would keep him at the back of the pack.  And for that I ranked him in 5th place.  I was wrong.   Then again, I shouldn’t be too surprised.  This was his fourth ACE nomination.  That said… I am going to move him up to my 2nd place position just in case.  That said… I am surprised Hugo didn’t win.

Comedy/Musical: As expected The Artist won this category… which is also my favorite for the Oscar.  However, of the six winners of this category who have also been nominated for the Oscar… only one of them has pulled it off: Chicago.  The statistics do not support The Artist for the win… but I’m going to stand firm.


Cinema Audio Awards
As predicted Hugo won, which makes me very happy.  These guys have been mopping up their competition all season.  I would bank on them to win both sound awards this Sunday.


Costume Designers Guild Awards
I didn’t see this one coming either.  The award went to W.E.  Which was my 4th place pick.  It is not abnormal for the costuming award to do to an oddball film… so it does have a shot.  However… very few winners of the Costume Designers Guild Award actually take home the Oscar… so I’m going to stick with The Artist for the win… but I’m going to move W.E. to 2nd place.

No comments:

Post a Comment