Monday, February 13, 2012

Road to the Oscars - 65th British Academy Film Awards

Well, while most award watching American’s were being bored to tears with the Grammy’s… the Brit’s were living it up with their own prestigious Academy Awards, also known as the BAFTA’s.

So far… my statistical predictions are faring very well!  Although I haven’t revealed all of my predictions so far, here is where all of my predictions fell, or will fall, in line with the BAFTA’s”

12 correct picks (for a total of 60 points).

5 incorrect picks (based on my weighted predictions, these picks are worth 17 points).

5 snubs, I can’t evaluate these because either my Oscar pick wasn’t nominated for the BAFTA or vice versa. (25 points are still up for grabs).

2 missing categories, the BAFTA does not give out specific awards for Song and Short Documentary, so I can’t evaluate these. (Worth 10 points are still up for grabs).

Remember, 120 is a perfect score!

Correct Picks
Winner: ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2’.  YES!  I stuck to my guns on this one, even after the Visual Effects Society gave their award to ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ and it looks like my gamble, for the sentimental favorite, might pay off! 

Winner: ‘The Artist’.

Best Production Design (Art Direction)
Winner: ‘Hugo

Best Sound (Editing and Mixing)
Winner: ‘Hugo’, the BAFTA combines editing and mixing for their award, but still, I predict ‘Hugo’ with win both sound Oscars.  So there!

Best Music (Original Score)
Winner: ‘The Artist’.

Winner: ‘A Morning Stroll’, this is a totally HUGE prediction!  Short films are always a crap shoot and this win is building my confidence.

Best Animated Feature
Winner: ‘Rango’ – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Supporting Actress
Winner: Octavia Spencer for ‘The Help’ – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Supporting Actor
Winner: Christopher Plummer for ‘Beginners’ – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Actor
Winner: Jean Dujardin for ‘The Artist’ – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Picture
Winner: ‘The Artist’ – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).


Incorrect Picks
Winner: ‘The Iron Lady’, shocker!  I was not expecting this.  I was predicting ‘Harry Potter’ with ‘Iron Lady’ as the runner up, however, based on the Oscar Trends I discussed in my previous posts; I will be adjusting my prediction.

Best Original Screenplay
Honestly, I though Woody Allen had this one locked up for ‘Midnight in Paris’… however, ‘The Artist’, who won the BAFTA, is my predicted runner up.  I’m still not sure how I feel about these two films going into the Oscars. Since Woody is also up for Best Director and has very little chance of winning it… it could give him an extra push in this category.  – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Original Screenplay
The BAFTA winner ‘Ticker Tailor Soldier Spy’ was my 4th place ‘Unlikely’ pick.  However, I’m not surprised by its victory here.  After all, it’s a British Film.  That said, I might have to give it a little more juice… although I still think I’m going to keep ‘Moneyball’ as my #1 pick.  For the love of God, it was a book about statistics that Aaron Sorkin turned into a riveting sports drama.  That is talent!  – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Actress
Meryl Streep won the BAFTA for playing Margret Thatcher.  However, I don’t think this is going to be a good comparison for the Oscar.  I’m still going to back Viola Davis from ‘The Help’.  However, Meryl was my 3rd place ‘Wild Card’ pick… just behind Berenice Bejo from ‘The Artist’… so I might have to take another look.  – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Director
To be 100% honest, I hadn’t really picked a favorite in this category.  It was between Martin Scorsese for ‘Hugo’ and Michel Hazanavicius for ‘The Artist’, however I’ve been leaning towards Martin; which is why I could give myself credit for this one.  That said, Michel’s stock just went up… big.  – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Snubbed Picks
I picked ‘The Artist’, however it lost the BAFTA to the documentary ‘Senna’, which isn’t nominated for the Oscar.  So… this doesn’t really say anything.

This time around ‘The Artist’, my 2nd place ‘Runner-Up’ pick won the BAFTA, while my #1 pick for the Oscar, Emmanuel Lubezki from ‘The Tree of Life’ was not nominated.  However, Sunday night Emmanuel did win the American Society of Cinematographers Award… so I’m going to sit tight with my pick.

Best Foreign Film
My pick is ‘A Separation’, however it lost the BAFTA ‘The Skin I Live In’ which was snubbed by the Oscars. – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

Best Documentary
There was zero nomination overlap between the BAFTA and the Oscars in this category. – (Prediction analysis not yet posted).

There was zero nomination overlap between the BAFTA and the Oscars in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment