Monday, February 20, 2012

Road to the Oscars – Writers Guild Awards and Animated Feature SNUB!


Writers Guild Awards

Well, my predictions for Original Screenplay rang true… if you are reading this blog for the purposes of putting your own, very completive, Oscar ballot together, as you should, Woody Allen is the man to bank on!

However, my Runner-up pick for Adapted Screenplay, The Descendants, beat out my favorite Moneyball.  I’m not totally surprised… after all Aaron Sorkin won last year.  Unlike some of my other picks were I am standing strong, I am going to change my order on this one.  After the Writers Guild win The Descendants is clearly the front runner.


Animated Feature Snug:  Winnie the Pooh

In my initial post about Animated Features I spent most of my time discussing the snub of The Adventures of Tintin however, I need to add another to the list.  Last night I watched the new Winnie the Pooh with my boys and it was WONDERFUL.  Besides being a classic Pooh story filled with lots of Poohness… the animation techniques were fun, playful, and varied.  Not only did Disney use the classic Pooh hand drawing animation look from previous incarnations of the story, but they also used other techniques, including chalk drawings, to further expand the themes.  Furthermore, the way the characters interacted with the pages and words of the book was classic Disney… the kind of Disney I grew up loving.  Great story, plus great animation should equal Oscar nomination… in this year, that wasn’t the case.   

No comments:

Post a Comment