Saturday, December 24, 2011

Review: ‘The Ideas of March’ (B-)

Director: George Clooney (‘Good Night and Good Luck’)
Okay, so I know my review of ‘The Ideas of March’ might seem a little harsh and I’m sure Clooney, if he knew I existed, would probably think I hate him, especially since I panned ‘Up in the Air’ a few years ago on my other blog.  However, that is the farthest thing from the truth.  Please know I liked this movie… well… I appreciated the movie; I appreciated the movie a lot.
Thematically, I think the movie was a success, mainly because it justified my personal opinion about American politics: Everyone involve, no matter the party, are shady back-stabbing liars.  And in driving this theme home, Clooney, but co-star and director, created one of the bleakest depictions of the American political system I’ve seen. 
The idealistic hopes and dreams that would drive most political movies died a quick and painful death within the first quarter of ‘The Ides of March’.  And playing against the norm, where the idealism would come back for a triumphant victory… the protagonist, Ryan Gosling, succumbs to what our political system is really about and plays the game harder and better than anyone else in the room.
This movie is good and it is worth seeing if you’re not in the mood for the feel good movie of the year… it is a well constructed film with an very good cast… almost too good… way too good. 
Let me explain:
A few weeks ago I reviewed ‘Cedar Rapids’, a delightful comedy staying Ed Helms, Ann Heche, and John C. Riley.  In my review I said, “And I hate to say it, but if Ryan Gosling and Kate Winslet had starred in this movie, rather than Helms and Heche, I think Cedar Rapids would end up being the toast of the town come awards season.  And that said, I’m not sure if Gosling and Winslet would have done a better job than Helms and Heche… and that is what makes EGOTing so frustrating.
Well, I think ‘The Ides of March’ illustrates my point beautifully.  With a different cast I think this movies would have been forgotten faster than ‘Columbiana’… or gone straight to video.  And it would have ultimately been one of those movies that film buffs recommend to each other as “must sees”, but never attracts a mainstream audience.
The fact of the matter is that ‘The Ideas of March’ has a cast, who collectively has been nominated for 27 Golden Globes, 22 Screen Actors Guild Awards, and 12 Academy Awards.  And when you have that much award love floating around, you’re pretty much guaranteed more acclaim and nominations. 
Cast: George Clooney, Ryan Gosling (‘Half Nelson’), Philip Seymour Hoffman (‘Capote’), Paul Giamatti (‘Sideways’), Even Rachel Wood (‘Once and Again’), Marisa Tomei (‘The Wrestler’) and Jeffrey Wright (‘Angels in America’)

No comments:

Post a Comment