Thursday, December 29, 2011

Quick Reviews: 'Crazy, Stupid. Love', 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', 'Super 8', and 'Moneyball'

I’ve been making daily updates on my movie marathon progress on Facebook. I realized that I should probably be posting them here too.

So here is a collection on my latest updates from the week:

‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’ - (A)I finally watched ‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’ last night. It was great and it’s totally my kind of movie. Most importantly, this movie surprised me. Normally, I’m able to predict the course of a movie and although I enjoy them, I usually see things coming from a mile away. And for the most part I was… like Marisa Tomei’s character. I predicted that. However, about three quarters of the way into the film something happened that totally threw me and I was like, “BRILLIANT!” I didn’t see it coming at all. However, looking back at earlier dialogue, I should have. The compliment here is that ‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’ drew me in so much, that I stopped trying to make predictions in my head… and I just let the whole story unfold, which was awesome. Great script, great cast, great movie!


‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’ - (B)We Need to Talk About Kevin'. This movie is very bleak and draining. It is a very tough and not so happy story. However, quite a lot of artistry went into telling this story. What could have been very graphic and violent was told very simply and with great care. I really appreciated the simplistic approach. Plus, Tilda Swinton's performance is the best of the year, so far, and new comer Ezra Miller (as Kevin) is a young man to watch for the future.


‘Super 8’ - (A)
Movie Marathon Update: Finished 'Super 8' last night after building a bunch of presents. Wow. It was really great. I just love JJ Adrams, that dude knows how to tell a story! Plus, the kids in the movie were spot on, plus Kyle Chandler (Sp?), from Friday Night Lights, was amazing as always as the Deputy Sheriff/ Dad.


‘Moneyball’ - (A)

I watched 'Moneyball' last night. Great movie! So far it is the best movie I’ve seen during my annual "Pre-Movie Award Season Marathon”. Oddly enough, I think Jonah Hill might have a chance for the Golden Globe, although I still haven’t seen the other four Supporting Actor Nominees… yet!

1 comment:

  1. As much as I loved the movie, I couldn’t help but get annoyed every time the boy came around. Other than that, this movie was fantastic! It was nice to see the story play out differently when compared to other romcom movies. I loved most of the actors in Crazy, Stupid, Love! I rented it with my Blockbuster Movie Pass, and I’ll probably be getting it again real soon. Being able to rent movies like Crazy, Stupid, Love using the Blockbuster Movie Pass is great because many are available almost as soon as they release. DISH is practically giving it away too! Whether or not I worked for DISH, I would still have to have the Blockbuster Movie Pass. It definitely helps with getting the movies that I want when I want them! Crazy, Stupid, Love is definitely a movie worth seeing!

    ReplyDelete