Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Challenge of Oscars Overseas – Part 2

Despite my previous brushes with Oscar disaster, I really thought 2012 would be different.
Now in Paramaribo, Suriname I’ve been pretty excited.  My house was set-up with AFN prior to my arrival and everything was looking good… however, as I’ve prepared for the Golden Globes, I’ve run into a pretty major problem.
You see, I don’t actually get the REAL 10 channel AFN, with dedicated stations for family programming, movies, sports and that sort of stuff.  No, I don’t get the REAL 10 channel AFN that comes with two stations dedicated to showing the best of Primetime programming, to include live events like major sporting events, parades, and awards shows.  No… I don’t get the REAL AFN because Suriname is outside the AFN satellite’s footprint.
Instead I get this sickly 3 channel version of AFN called ‘Direct to Sailor’ (dubbed ‘DTS’)… now in theory, when you look at the channels I actually get (News, Sports, and Primetime) you wouldn’t think it’s much of an issue… however, I recently found out that these channels don’t actually mirror the programming found on their REAL AFN counterpart stations.
You see, while the REAL AFN Atlantic Coast Primetime feed will be showing the Golden Globes live this Sunday night… the seemingly fake DTS version of the Atlantic Coast Primetime feed will be showing a hockey game: the New York Rangers vs. the Montreal Canadians.  And following that… they will be airing a basketball game: Warriors vs. Pistons.
Also, keep in mind, DTS also has a dedicated sports station that will be airing the Giants/Packers (NFL) game, followed by the Suns/Spurs (NBA) game.
Ummm… okay… really?
Okay, I’m a sports fan, I get it… well, actually I am an NFL fan, a league where each team only plays once a week for a total of sixteen games.  Plus the NFL is currently running their playoffs.  I get that.
But what really gets under my skin is the fact that random NHL and NBA games are preempting the Golden Globes, and eventually the Oscars, on my only outlet for watching them, the Primetime station!
Listen, both the NHL and NBA don’t start their playoffs until April.  Plus, in both leagues every team play an 82 freaking game season!  Even with this year’s NBA lockout delaying the start of the season until Christmas, they’re still going squeeze out a 66 games apiece!
So, let’s do the math… hmm… number of games divided by length of season equals, on average, 3.76 games per team/per week… and since both leagues have 30 teams… that gives us the possibility of 15 NHL and 15 NBA match-ups at any given time, so… if we run THOSE numbers (15+15)*3.76 = 112.8 NHL and NBA games per week. 
Hmmm… I… umm… really?!?
When there are 112.8 (non-playoff) games per week… why in the world are you preempting once a year programming?  I don’t get it… I really don’t get it. 
ERG!
Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment