Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Challenge of Oscars Overseas – Part 1

So far, I don’t feel like I’ve done a very good job connecting with EGOTing on a personal level.  Sure, I talk about my personal feelings about various movies and things… but the truth is this:  I connect to movies and awards at a very deep level… I’m not sure why… I just do.  I obsess and salivate uncontrollably during Oscar season. 
I am so controlling over my Oscar experience that I don’t even like hosting or attending Oscar parties… which is something my wife doesn’t understand at all.  I don’t know… I just don’t enjoy sharing my Oscar experience with ‘non-believers’… I find them distracting and this is all so deeply personal to me that I like to keep my viewing very intimate… and well… over the last four years… ever since I moved overseas for work, my viewing of the Oscars has been more intimate that I would like… so intimate in fact that a better description would actually be “nonexistent”.
Sigh.
Yeah… it’s pretty depressing.  Back in 2009 I had just arrived in Belgrade and didn’t have my television set-up yet.  So for the first time since I was a small boy, I missed watching the Oscar telecast.  I had to monitor the awards as IMDB posted the results live.  It was certainly not a very enjoyable experience.
Then in 2010, while still in Belgrade, my Oscar experience was so bad that it spawned a series of four posts on my other blog, SchutzHappens:
Gearing up for the 2011’s telecast I thought I had all of my bases covered, I really did.  But then the unthinkable happened:
Sigh. 
And I hate to say it… but 2012 isn’t looking any better… but more about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment