Friday, September 23, 2011

‘EGOTing’ - A New Beginning

Three years ago I started ‘SchutzHappens’ (schutzhappens.blogspot.com), a blog chronicling my life as a husband, father, and United States Foreign Service Diplomat.  When I started writing, the intent was merely to keep my friends and family back in the States up to date with our travels… however, two years in I discovered ‘SchutzHappens’ was being syndicated (via RSS feeds) on numerous Foreign Service and travel oriented websites… honestly, I had no idea and up until then, I was pretty sure my mother was my only reader.  I was wrong.  Apparently, my musings on fatherhood and life overseas had become quite popular.
However… there is slight problem. 
Although ‘SchutzHappens’ is (seemingly) widely read… the blog itself suffers from a general lack of focus.   Since I didn’t think anyone was reading, I pretty much talk about whatever I want.  And to be completely honest, when I’m not talking about my beautiful wife and amazing kids… or our random misadventures around the world… I have a tendency to write (ad nauseum) about another passion of mine: the entertainment business.  I’ll admit it… I am a complete freak about movies, television, music, and theatre.
As avid ‘SchutzHappens’ readers know, I wasn’t always planning to be Diplomat.  Once upon a time I was an actor.  I was an honest to God working actor (and theatre director)… who got paid for it and everything.    Now, keep in mind, I was mainly a stage actor, so if you’re tempted to ask, “Having you been in anything I’ve seen.”  The answer is more than likely ‘no’.  However, I still got paid for it… but as glamorous as it might sound, theatre work isn’t always stable and I found my life moving into a slightly different direction.  Luckily, my theatre connections opened a lot of doors and I ended up teaching high school theatre and eventually moved into public arts management; which I did for over seven years… before my professional life took a much more dramatic turn and I found myself working overseas.
Anyway, when it comes to ‘SchutzHappens’, over the last year its thematic divide between my new Diplomatic life verses my old Theatrical life has become more and more defined… and as a result ‘SchutzHappens’ now appeals to two very different audiences: those who want to read about my family and our life in the Foreign Service, and those who want to read my overly analytical opinions about the entertainment business.
So… what is my point?  Well… I think it’s time to make a thematic split.  Don’t worry.  ‘SchutzHappens’ isn’t going anywhere.  It will always be my primary blog of about life.  However, it is time to give my entertainment obsession its own home… and that is why I created ‘EGOTing’ (egoting.blogspot.com)… a place to let my movie freak flag fly.
Anyway, if you are reading this on ‘SchutzHappens’, sit tight!  I’ve been back from Pakistan and with my family for two months now, AND we arrived in Paramaribo, Suriname last Friday.  And get this!  Our car, UAB, and HHE from Serbia arrived before we did!  Stay tuned, I have lots of stories to share about our Home Leave, our move, Suriname, Grayson’s first day of school… and an xBox I rebuilt for $32.00.  The fun starts October 1st.
As for ‘EGOTing’… there are less than 100 days left in the year and you know what that means… less than 100 days to qualify for the Oscars.  There are going to be some SERIOUS movies coming out and I live down the street from a movie theatre… that actually screen movies in ENGLISH!!!! 
Sweetness!

No comments:

Post a Comment