Thursday, September 29, 2011

2011 Movies – Shame and Change

To be completely honest… I’m embarrassed.  I just sifted through a list of all the movies released in 2011 so far and I’ve only seen 11.  Seriously!  Only 11 movies!  I am appalled.
Now, if you do the math… I still have about 5 months until the Oscars, which is my unofficial/personal cut off for a year… so there is still time to right this wrong, but still.  Once upon a time it wasn’t abnormal for me to see around a 100 movies in a given year before the Oscars… an achievement I haven’t been able to match (or even come close to) in recent years.
Back in 2006, when I became a father for the first time, it was understandable when my movie intake dropped a bit.  But, it screeched to a halt back in 2008 when I moved Serbia, where most movies are dubbed into Serbian… and then in Pakistan where going to the movies probably wasn’t the safest thing in the world to do. 
I’ve tried though.  I’ve tried to stay on top of the movie industry as a whole.  But it’s been hard.
But this year… I feel the tides a changing.
Now, I’m in Suriname… a Dutch speaking county most American’s have never heard of and even the most seasoned geographers have trouble identifying on a map… I feel like my love for movies has been given a new life!
As luck would have it, my next door neighbor is the son of an America film professor and our taste in movies is almost identical.  Couple that with the fact that we live in walking distance to an English six screen first-run movie theatre and you have the ideal situation for a movie addict like me.
In addition, all my wife, Serena, has been able to talk about, since arriving, is how she wants me to start going to the movies again, saying “I feel so bad!  JohnPaul hasn’t been to the movies in like 3 years and even he could go he wouldn’t have anyone to go with who would appreciate the movies like he would.”  Long story short; Serena is encouraging me to organize weekly trips to the movies.  Best – Wife – EVER!
 ‘Moneyball’ here I come! 
Anyway, here is the list so far, and I will keep track of my complete list on the ‘2011 Films’ tab on this page… so if you’re a geek like me, you can track my progress.
The Dilemma
The Green Hornet
Red Riding Hood
Win Win
Sucker Punch
30 Minutes or Less
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
Rio
Hop
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
The Adjustment Bureau

No comments:

Post a Comment