Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - #3 of 2012


Perhaps I’m just an old man at heart.  For some reason, I just love movies about our older generation finding new paths and experiencing new things in their twilight years.  Cocoon, About Schmidt, The Straight Story, RED, and The Visitor.  These are all fantastic films and I highly recommend seeing them.  And now, I have another fantastic film to add to this list:  The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Now, I will admit.  The title did absolutely nothing for me.  And while stuck on a plane from Frankfurt to Jeddah I almost overlooked it.  However, thankfully, none of the movies featured on the flight excited me much, so I went back and read the synopsis of Marigold Hotel… and the cast alone hooked me right away.  The cast of this movie is a who’s who of Briton’s top veteran actors and actresses:  Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love), Bill Nighy (Love Actually), Penelope Wilton (Downton Abby), Maggie Smith (Harry Potter series and Downton Abby), Tom Wilkinson (In the Bedroom and Michael Clayton), Ronald Pickup (The Mission and Danny, The Champion of the World), Celia Imrie (Bridget Jones’s Diary series), and Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire).

Beyond the amazing cast, the premise of the movie amused me:  A group of seniors burdened by poor economic times ‘outsource’ their retirement to India, moving to what they thought was a newly renovated luxury hotel, run by the enthusiastic and charming Dev Patel.  However, the reality they find once they arrive is a dilapidated and out-of-date hotel serving food too spicy for their English palates.

Furthermore, the story is masterfully told my director John Madden.  Madden has directed Judi Dench to two Oscar nominations and one win for Mrs. Brown and Shakespeare in Love.  The latter co-starred Tom Wilkinson, who also starred in Madden’s latest film, The Debt.  Madden makes very thoughtful films and his work on The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is no different.

Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and Tom Wilkinson are fantastic playing characters totally in their wheelhouse; however the standouts, in my opinion, are Bill Nighy and Dev Patel.

Bill Nighy is one of my favorite character actors and I’m always excited when I see him popup in a film.  And back in 2005, Serena and I saw The Girl in the Café which features Bill in a leading role… and he was absolutely brilliant.  For me, seeing an actor, who traditionally takes on supporting roles, deliver such a compelling leading performance was very special.  His performance in The Girl in the Café proved that Bill Nighy is more than an evil vampire.  More than an over domineering step-father turned zombie.  More than an aging rock-star.  Bill Nighy is an extremely talented and thoughtful actor.  And his performance in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is nothing short than brilliant and will give viewers a different side of Bill Nighy to adore.

Equally as fun and compelling is Dev Patel.  Still early in his career, I can only really compare him to his performance in Slumdog Millionaire… but his performance in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is so completely different that I can’t help but describe him as ‘refreshing and remarkable’.

In closing, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a must see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment