Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Hunger Games - #4 of 2012

Can The Hunger Games film series improve upon the books?  Yes, I think so.  And I will tell you why.

1st, I read The Hunger Games prior to seeing the film and I found it to be one of the most gripping books I’ve read in a very long time.  I couldn’t but it down.  I was actually halfway through Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which I was enjoying, when The Hunger Games film was released and my gut told me it was time to make a switch.  So, on a Saturday afternoon while Serena was taking a nap with the boys I started reading the book… and it was amazing.  That evening we had some friends over for karaoke and, quite literally, I just sat in the other room and read.  I hadn’t been that engrossed in a book in ages.

2nd, after plowing through book one, I immediately started Catching Fire, which I thought was pretty good.  Not nearly as spectacular as the first book, mainly because it followed the exact same formula, but it was still pretty good.  I guess my main complaint is that it was kind of like seeing a really great horror movie only to me mildly disappointed by its all too similar sequel.  That said, I still devoured the book at record pace.

3rd, to be honest… I’m having a lot of trouble getting through Mockingjay.  I’m about half way though and although it is completely different from the first two books, I don’t find it nearly as gripping or entertaining.

Now, the good news is that I can actually articulate why I feel this way.  And I have had numerous conversations with folks who have read the books about my feelings and most of them agree with my point.

I think the book series, as a whole, suffers from being in Katniss’ perspective.  All three books are told in first-person from her point of view and the problem I have found is that Katniss doesn’t grow enough as a character throughout the saga to keep up with how amazing the overall concept of the story is.  I really wish each book had changed perspectives.  I think Catching Fire would have been much better told from the point of view of Peeta.  And I think Mockingjay could have benefited from being in Haymitch or Gale’s perspective. 

My point is that there is a lot going on in the second two books… and most of the time Katniss isn’t privy to what’s going on.  And she isn’t mature enough to figure it out.

That said, I think The Hunger Games film is a brilliant compliment to the book.  Not better than the book, but a fine compliment.  However, the film was able to accomplish a number of things that the books couldn’t, that I think will benefit the overall film series, ultimately making the films better than the books.

The most important thing the film does is depart from the first-person narrative.  Although it focuses on Katniss, the film departs in a number of ways that benefits the story as a whole.  Like showing the start of the district revolts, how the gamekeepers operate, how Haymitch solicits sponsors, and most importantly, how much control President Snow has over the games.  These glimpses, departing from the books first person narratives, foreshadow how the next films will be handled.  And if the next films follow this format, they could potentially be stronger than the books.

I for one, am very excited to see how the film series expands the amazing source material.

I think The Hunger Games saga has the potential to be a lot like the television series Dexter, which is also based on a book series.  Although the first season of Dexter mirrors the original book, the television series, as a whole, has been to tell a much more compelling story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment